Sunday, October 11, 2009

PLN14

I read an article today called "Rigor Redefined" by Tony Wagner and it was talking about how schools are preparing (or lacking to prepare) us for future jobs and our careers.It matters to me because i need to know what the real world is going to be like. My class, needs to know, and the world needs to be ready for us to take it by the horns and live! This article stated that some of the countries "best" schools were lacking setting up new students and soon citizens to be ready to set foot into the real life. There are going to be new jobs coming out and we must be ready for them but some of these schools are not doing that.I can believe that my school is preparing my for the new world i am soon to walk into. And they give me the encouragement and help to do just that. I can tell that all my class mates also are being prepared for this new world. But these schools have not prepared their other students which needs to be done as soon as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm one of your mentors, Danielle. You've made a very good point, but I disagree in the sense that it shouldn't necessarily be dependent on the teachers. Society as a whole should be preparing the children of tomorrow. Many people depend on teachers to teach children life skills, but teachers don't have that ability all the time. Teachers can guide children, but it shouldn't be an English teacher's job to teach students how to balance their budget, or how to act in a job interview. These skills are either learned from experience, or can be offered through courses. My question to you is: why is it the school and teacher's responsibility to prepare the children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who else in the community could help with this process?

    ReplyDelete